The National Weather Service in Tampa Bay Area – Ruskin FL has re-issued a Hard Freeze Warning for Hernando County, which is in effect from 1 AM to 9 AM Friday. Current forecasted conditions may change significantly with temperatures projected to reach the mid 20’s.
Very cold wind chills expected over a prolonged period could result in hypothermia. Sub-freezing temperatures will be a danger for pets, livestock and sensitive vegetation. Continue to monitor the situation and follow the recommendations listed below.
Forecast for Tonight / Friday Morning
20 to 27 degrees
3 to 5 hours
• Consider the needs of pets during this time. Do not leave pets outside in the cold weather.
• Cover or move plants that are sensitive to the cold.
• Cover or close windows or doors near exposed interior pipes. Insulate your pipes if possible.
• Disconnect and drain all garden hoses, and consider placing an insulating cover over the outside spigots.
• When low temperatures are predicted, let a thin trickle of water run from the faucet.
• If your pipes do break, immediately turn your water off at the shut-off valve.
• Consider running pool pumps overnight during freezing temperatures to prevent damage.
• Turn off sprinkler system to avoid damage to the sprinkler head and pipes.
• Remember, thawing frozen pipes is dangerous and could cause extensive damage. Call a plumber if your pipes freeze; never try to thaw pipes with an open flame.
• Residents are encouraged to pay attention to local media outlets or the National Weather Service at http://www.srh.noaa.gov/tbw/ for current weather information.
• Register with Alert Hernando to Receive automated emergency weather alerts and other important messages from Hernando County Register today at: www.AlertHernando.org.